Brentwood Public Library
Youth Services Librarian
The Brentwood Public Library in St. Louis, Missouri, is seeking a Youth Services Librarian. We are a small, independent suburban library with a population of 8,000 and a staff of 12. We are a member of the Municipal Library Consortium of St. Louis County. Our children’s library is a popular place in our community. We are looking for someone who is going to expand the scope of our current programs. This position will offer the right candidate the freedom to try out new ideas and tweak or nix existing programs with support but with little oversight. We need someone who has the experience and passion to single-handedly run a busy department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides excellent customer service through demeanor, presence, and ability; a willingness to serve all of the visitors to the library with the primary focus of engaging youth of all ages
- Provides friendly, courteous, helpful, and efficient service to customers by checking out materials, issuing library cards, placing holds, accepting payments, and answering questions about accounts
- Coordinates and presents weekly story times for infants and toddlers, and preschoolers; creative programming for school-age children; weekly STEM programming; weekend and evening activities; coordinate and present the annual Summer Reading Program for youth
- Represents library at off-site events as needed; establishes partnerships with schools and community organizations throughout our service area
- Seeks grants to support new programs and services; develops grant proposals and implements grant programs
- Tracks expenditures for programs and events
- Collects statistics and other data and prepares reports as required
- Collection development of library materials from birth-age 18
- Develops and prepares monthly newsletter, social media marketing, website events, and articles for the department
- Maintains public and work areas in a safe, clean and orderly condition
- Timely and regular attendance is an essential job function
- Master in Library/Information Science degree (MLS) or equivalent
- Competence with standard workplace computer applications and equipment
- A strong customer service attitude and ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Library programming skills
- Knowledge of current and emerging library trends, services, technologies, and practices
- Prior experience in a public library setting preferred
- Excellent customer service attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The ideal candidate will also have the following experience, knowledge, qualities and skills:
- Experience developing and providing library programming
- Extensive knowledge of children’s and young adult literature and genres
- Mentally flexible, creative thinker with a high level of energy and an aptitude for managing multiple projects at once.
This is a full-time position with benefits. The salary starts at $40,500 and will depend on the ideal candidate’s experience and qualifications.
We can’t wait to talk about the library with you and hear your ideas.
Email your cover letter and resumé to email@example.com.
We will accept resumés through September 27th, 2018